Every year, holiday weekends see an increase in DUI activity and fatal traffic accidents. Last year, Arizona saw more than 8,000 traffic stops and 400 DUI arrest over the Fourth of July weekend. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, last year traffic fatalities in Arizona hit their highest level in 15 years. Additionally, estimated traffic fatalities among young people, ages 16-35, also increased during several months in 2021.
While it’s hard to know exactly what led to this increase, there are factors and habits that significantly increase your risk of being involved in a traffic accident. These include distracted driving, not wearing a seatbelt, reckless driving, driving over the speed limit and the most serious of all, driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Take action this holiday weekend and reduce your risk while on the road by doing the following:
- Plan for a safe ride home
- Be a responsible host, make sure your guests get home safe
- Intervene is someone is too drunk to drive
- Never serve alcohol to minors
- Talk to your teens about driving safely
- Avoid driving between the hours of 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. when bars begin to close
- Stay focused while driving and follow the speed limit
- Call 911 if you see a drunk or reckless driver on the road
- Always wear a seatbelt
One bad choice can result in a criminal record, thousands of dollars in fines, and cause a lifetime of pain and suffering. There’s never an excuse to get behind the wheel after you’ve been drinking. Make the right choice this holiday weekend and get a safe ride home!