When we think about internet safety we think about actions taken online. But what about your workspace? Does it follow the same safety guidelines as your office space? Paying attention to your privacy at home can be just as important in keeping your work data safe.
- Keep your computer screen away from where it can be seen by others
- Make sure your windows are closed during important phone calls and video conferences to avoid sharing sensitive information
- Always lock your computer or phone while taking breaks or eating lunch
- Store documents with important information in a secured container like filing cabinet or desk ; never leave documents exposed and unattended
- Never leave office equipment unattended in a car where it can be stolen
- Store laptops, thumb drives and cell phones in a secure location at home
- Immediately report any loss or unauthorized disclosure to a supervisor
The best way to ensure privacy while working from home is to be proactive and consistent. Make sure to include these tips in your telework routine and adjust as needed to ensure the safety of your information.