An inside look at the criminal justice system in action.
The Maricopa County Attorney's Office Citizens Academy is a free, one-day program of presentations and activities designed to educate members of the public about the unique role a prosecutor plays in the criminal justice system. Participants will experience firsthand the process of prosecuting a felony offense, from the initial investigation through final sentencing. The program is designed around a series of immersive events in the county justice complex in downtown Phoenix and provides an insider's view of the nation's third largest prosecutor's office.
The Citizens Academy has been recognized with a 2015 NACo Achievement Award!
At the award-winning MCAO Citizens Academy you will:
- Learn how a case is submitted, reviewed, and charged
- Observe a courtroom in action
- Take a tour of the County Jail
- View a crime scene reconstruction
- See how a cold case is investigated
- Decide how to charge a felony case
- Learn about crime prevention programs
Who should attend:
- Private citizens interested in criminal justice
- Neighborhood watch and community groups
- Business and civic organizations
- Trade and professional associations
- Students and educators.
- Elected officials and public service professionals.
*Must be 18 or over to attend.
The MCAO Citizens Academy is held once a month from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. A light breakfast, lunch and validated parking are included for all participants.
Admission to the MCAO Citizens Academy is by application (PDF) only.
Applications due 4 weeks before class date.
Please note that classes typically fill up 1-2 months in advance of an event.
Print and mail or fax your application to:
Maricopa County Attorney's Office
301 W Jefferson Street, 8th Floor
Phoenix, AZ 85003
Secure Fax Line: 602-594-7394
For any questions, or further information, please contact us at 602-506-3411