Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Reporting Crime

I feel a crime has been committed. How can I press charges or report the crime?
The primary investigative agency for a crime is the municipal police department. Crimes should be reported to the police department in the area where the crime occurred. For example, crimes committed in Tempe should be reported to the Tempe Police Department. If there is no municipal police department in your area of Maricopa County, the crime should be reported to the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office. The law enforcement agency determines if a crime has been committed. Once the police department completes the initial investigation, the report is submitted with the correct prosecuting agency. The reviewing prosecutor decides what charge(s), if any, will be filed.
My neighbor/friend/relative is doing drugs. How can I anonymously report the problem?
An investigation by the local police department or sheriff’s office needs to take place before the case is submitted to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office. Please contact the law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction where the crime was committed. Persons charged with possession of an illegal narcotic have the opportunity to enter a drug diversion program in conjunction with the Treatment and Assessment Screening Center. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS or 1-800-343-TIPS.

Family Issues

I want a divorce and also need help getting child support. Can the County Attorney’s Office help me?
The County Attorney’s Office cannot provide legal advice or take legal action in your divorce. You may consult with a private lawyer or use Family Lawyers Assistance Project (FLAP), a legal aid for family matters (602) 506-7948. For matters concerning child support enforcement, call the Arizona Department of Economic Security’s Child Support Enforcement Department at (602) 252-4045.
My children’s father has violated a court order and has not returned our children to me. Will your office help me?
The County Attorney’s Office does prosecute custodial interference if a law enforcement agency in our county has taken a report and submitted it to our office.
I believe my elderly relative is being victimized and/or abused. Who can I contact?
If you think an elderly individual is a victim of abuse, call your local police department. For other crimes committed against an elderly individual, such as telephone scams, contact the Arizona Attorney General’s Elder Affairs Program at (602) 542-2124.
I am a senior and have a legal question. Where can I get legal advice?
Seniors can get free legal advice from Area Agency on Aging. Their local number is (602) 264-2255 or call toll-free (888) 783-7500.
I am concerned that my relatives have criminally mishandled my deceased parent’s estate; does your office provide advice?
The Maricopa County Public Fiduciary handles Estate Administration (conservatorships & guardianships), Human Services, Financial Services and County Indigent Burials. They may direct you to a contact that could help.

Fraud/Consumer Protection Issues

A business or person who provides labor or services has cheated me. Who can I contact?
If you believe a criminal act has been committed, contact your local police department. The Arizona Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division can answer your questions about civil enforcement, or can refer you to the correct agency. Please call their office at (602) 542-5763.
I have received a bad check as payment for goods or services. Do I have any recourse?
The Maricopa County Attorney’s Check Enforcement Program is committed to working with victims in identifying bad check crimes and quickly enforcing full restitution.
Someone has stolen my identity to open a credit card account in my name. Can the County Attorney’s Office help?
The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office Fraud and Identity Theft Enforcement Bureau was created in August 2004 to combat identity theft crimes. Through this specialized unit, victims of identity theft and related crimes will benefit from newly-enacted Arizona legislation that allows prosecutors to pursue identity theft and computer-related cases that cross jurisdictional lines.
If you believe your are a victim of identity theft, there are four important steps you should take right now:
  1. Contact the fraud departments of any one of the three major credit bureaus.
  2. Close the accounts that you know or believe have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.
  3. File a report with your local police department.
  4. File your complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

Property/Neighborhood Issues

There is graffiti on a house/building in my neighborhood. Where can I report it?
The Phoenix Police Department and Phoenix Community Alliance sponsor a Graffiti Hotline at (602) 262-7327.
Do neighborhood associations have rights as a victim?
Yes, neighborhood associations have rights similar to those of individual victims of crime. By empowering these associations, neighborhoods have input in the criminal justice system.
My rental property is roach-infested or has other health-related problems. Who can I call?
For roach infestation issues, the Maricopa County Environmental Services will review problem situations on a case-by-case basis. Call (602) 506-6616 to report your problem. For other health-related problems with your rental property, call the Neighborhood Services Department of the city in which the property is located.
I am a landlord and have not yet registered my rental property. Where can I go to accomplish this?
The Maricopa County Assessor’s Office offers two options: You can register your property online at the County Assessor’s website, or visit the County Assessor’s Office at 301 W. Jefferson, ground floor, in Phoenix.

Employment Opportunities

Does your office offer internships?
Yes, our office offers a several different types of internship. Check out the options below to find the best fit for you:
Victim Services Intern – This position assumes the capacity of a Victim Advocate Assistant. The duty of this position is to assist advocates in providing assistance, information and services to victim(s) of various crimes. If you are interested in this type of internship, check out the Volunteer/Intern Application.
Law Students & Certified Limited Practice Students – There are many positions available for students to assist in various capacities throughout the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office. To learn more about these internship opportunities and how to apply, please review the MCAO Intern Program document.